Saturday, June 09, 2007

The School Holidays

As the school holidays come to a near end, I've finally learnt a lesson - Always do your holiday bookings a term or two before the actual break. I've tried calling at least 10 resorts and even tried booking online holidays and I've had my poor Nigel hoping and pleading for a holiday somewhere...anywhere with a bathtub, swimming pool and sand! Now, is the whole entire nation on holiday as well? Everywhere is fully booked! What was I thinking? So, there's not much to report on these school holidays except for small day trips and shopping in town. Of course, Meli's parcel came in time to cheer Nigel up. Thanks for the gifts and Nigel loves his dinosaur PJs. I guess we'll be going back to the usual grind. I'm definitely planning a getaway soon.

Nigel taking a break and fooling around with one of my crocheted cupcakes! Aren't they yummy.
This four year old deserves a holiday. He's just four and he's got homework!


On the way for a day trip to Bentong. I've always heard of the town Bentong but never of this beautiful waterfall we were about to discover.This waterfall is located approximately 8 kilometers out of town. It is a scenic place very popular with the locals and tourists alike. The waterfall is easily accessible by road. But mind you, it looks like the heavy rains did some damage to the terrains around. Lot's of fallen tree branches and works in progress along the roads leading into the waterfall. Nigel thinks we're at the Jurassic Park.
Fooling around with his Uncle Meow.
Welcome to the Chamang waterfall. This signage reminds us of the dangers, so we were extra careful. (Ok, and I lost a bet with my parents - I thought Chamang was spelt Chemang! Ice-cream was on me!!)

The water is clear and the surroundings were surprisingly clean. I'm not an outdoor person because I simply hate the fact that by just being there we're contaminating nature. I do see lots of families getting ready for lunch and I'm already looking at the forthcoming mess that will be left behind. How could they lug a whole gas tank (full size) up to the sides of the waterfall for cooking? I thought the idea of camping is to be simple and to travel light. We were there for a short time, and like little children we just have to dip our feets into the cool waters.
Here's Nigel collecting stones for me. Awww... he knows I like these little gestures.

Just the two of us.


Popo and Kung-kung had nice seats on the viewing deck. I think the steps are just too uneven for them to climb down.
With Meow lugging his camera equipment, we managed a family portrait by the waterfall.
A nice shot of the waterfall. My grandparents are thinking about planning for a day trip here with the whole family on their anniversary (We'll be a very big crowd end of this year - everyone will be home for Shen-ni's wedding!)

A fantastic shot by Meow. Lot's of dragonflies and butterflies at the waterfall.


We had lunch at a restaurant in Bentong town.

Homemade Ice-cream ala Bentong style. A must have eventhough the shop did not have any electricity on that day. Here, you can try local ice-cream flavours such as Durian and Corn!

Smiling ear to ear and demanding for Durian ice-cream!

4 comments:

Barbara J said...

Ah...Nigel got his holiday!! :) The waterfall looks suprisingly pristine!

Anonymous said...

It is so nice your family & friends got a wonderful bonding time. Come June 18, Pei and I will be headed to Singapore to spend 3 weeks with my family there. Can't wait :)

Richard and Mel said...

Showed Martin and Sylvia your blog because Sylvia used to make lots of crafts before (even gave Prince William his first ride on horse!). You guys could swop notes! :) Rich and Mel

African Kelli said...

what a beautiful day! And that food at the end looks so yummy too.