Friday, June 27, 2008

Decoupage Coasters for Usha

I've tried decoupage a few times and I like what I made for Usha for the Tea Coaster Exchange organised at NNC. All you need is ready-available tin coasters with cork backing from the supermarket or you can get them from craft and scrapbooking stores. Modge Podge varnish and your favourite patterned paper. This sounds like a simple tutorial already!

The decoupage tea coaster. A shoe lace bow with one of my favourite button cards!

My favourite pattern paper of choice was this napkin print I found at Jusco. Napkin decoupage will appear textured on a smooth surface. You can even try this method on a plain candle block. Measure and cut to size. Circular cutters don't work on napkins! So use your sharpest pair of scissors.

To cover the print of the original tin coaster, I apply a layer of modge podge and place a blank piece of paper on top. Don't try to rub off the motif on the top with chemicals, you may ruin the surface.

Decoupage is fun and easy, but it is actually time consuming because you have to wait for each layer to completely dry first before you can do the second layer. Apply another layer of varnish on top of the white base now.

Place the pattern paper on top of the white and apply another layer of varnish. Careful you don't tear the napkin. Do this in a singular stroke or direction. See the texture forming. Don't worry if the varnish seems white at the moment, it will dry clear.

Set aside to dry. And re-apply varnish and set aside to dry for a day or two. Keep fingers away from the surface!

The completed set. I used only 2 napkins and I picked all the birds perched on the branches from the pattern.
I used my circular cutter to cut freezer paper to individually line the stack so that it'll protect the coasters when I deliver them stacked tight in a box.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel, you're so creative! I think they look really rustic.

Paul

Anonymous said...

so cantikkk!!

macati said...

they look so beautiful!!!!
love love love

Jeanie in NC said...

These are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing! This is my next project for the "gift drawer"!

becks said...

Very cool. I now feel justified in buying a circular cutter finally. Thanks for the tutorial!

Weiling said...

so nice! how much u sell it for? maybe I can buy for my fren's house warming pressie...cool stuff! lovely!

Pura said...

Good work! ... your creations are really great ...
Greatings from Spain.

Anonymous said...

Cool coasters! I may try something like this when I get the chance. :-)

Anonymous said...

hello Yanni

nice work
lovely stuff you got here.
I put you in my blog list ya..
have a nice day

Echo M said...

This is soooo cool, why didn't I think of it? I have been trying different Coasters for over a year and couldn't find a style I liked.

Anonymous said...

Making knight gold is the old question : Honestly there is no fast way to make lots of knight noah . Sadly enough a lot of the people that all of a sudden come to with millions of knight online gold almost overnight probably duped . Although there are a lot of ways to make lots of knight online noahhere I will tell you all of the ways that I know and what I do to make cheap knight gold.

Unknown said...

These are so beautiful, and I am so happy I stumbled on your site! I was wondering where you found the coaster set- I have been searching online and cannot find them anywhere!!

Anonymous said...

Quick and easy instructions. Thank you.