Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sugar Puffs, Anyone?

They're so cute! I've been keeping this pack of frozen puff pastry in the freezer for a rainy day bake with Nigel. Although he doesn't fancy danish pastry, he sure finished this batch.

First we prep the cutting board with a little flour.


Have all the things you need laid out on the table. An egg yolk, sugar sprinkles, flour for dusting, cookie cutters and roller pin. Make sure the frozen puff pastry is thawed and soft to touch but not too mushy.

These cookie cutters we bought in Isetan, they have a little craft corner. Lot's of clay modelling supplies, Japanese papers and cute stationery. I think I know every craft corner in the city of Kuala Lumpur!

Pick a piece of puff pastry onto the floured board and with a rolling pin flatten as desired. Nigel is doing a fantastic job here.

Pick a cookie cutter and start cutting. Try to minimise wastage.

I prefer to use a non stick baking paper that comes in a roll over buttering the pan. But it's totally up to you. I find this less oily and less mess.

Time to coat the cut outs with a little egg yoke for a shiny golden finish.

Ooops! Too much, but nevermind. Puff pastry are quite forgiving.



Sprinkle some bakeable coloured sugar for a magical touch.

Can I have some now?


Put them in the oven to bake. There are baking instruction on your packaging. So different brands have different bake times but ours was just at 170c and 10 minutes. They bake really fast. Don't open the doors when the pastry rises. You'll know when they're done. Golden brown and the kitchen smells heavenly!



Go ahead, have some sugar puffs!

2 comments:

Blossom inch said...

great time you had with your son!
I am Yuzz, I have send you an e-mail with regards to a few things. Can you please reply and I love your blog by the way.

Cheers
yuzz

Emily said...

Wow! just the thing to do with my lone packet of puff pastry!

btw, whats fast and easy for a soon to expire pack of whipping cream? LOL