Thursday, August 19, 2010

Yoonie's Sugee Cake Recipe : MUST TRY!!!

Sugee Cake was one of the many recipes I had on the top of my to try list when I had my kitchen done up. I love the texture of the semolina and almonds in this recipe, the wonderful tinge of orange rind adds a wonderful summery flavour to the light and buttery cake. I'm sure even my old friend, Patrick T will be proud of this cake - His mom makes the best sugee cake!!!

The Ingredients
226gms Butter
1/2 cup of Castor Sugar
3 Eggs separated
1 cup Semolina
1 tsp Baking Powder (if you don't have any, you can make a batch by mixing 2tsp cream of tartar + 1tsp baking soda + 1tsp Corstarch)
1 Cup Ground Almonds
1tbsp Vanilla Essence
1 rind of an Orange

Optional : If you prefer, you can omit the orange rind and replace with Cinnamon powder (1/2 tsp). 1/4 cup of Pine nuts if you like more texture in your cake.

First off - Heat up the oven at 375º F / 170ºC
Butter the pan. I'm using an 8" square pans because I'll be cutting them into bite size morsels.
Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Set aside.

Beat butter + sugar + orange rind.

Fluffy and light.

Egg yolks - one at a time.

In goes the semolina flour + baking powder.

Next the almonds...

+ Vanilla essence...




Wash the beater paddles so you can whip the egg whites until fluffy. Has to be super clean, if not you won't fluff the egg whites.

Pour fluffy egg whites into Semolina (say that 3 times!!! LOL!) and fold evenly. You can use the beater, but just a quick round to mix everything evenly. It's a no fuss cake, so no worries.

Pour into baking tin.
Spread evenly. I sound like one of my homescience teacher already!

Bake for 30 minutes! Ahhhh! The smell in here is wonderful.

The top is nice and golden brown. Put on a rack to cool. Do not be tempted to remove the cake yet, if you do it will crack and the middle will be stuck to the pan.


Yummy! Look at the texture. I have these cut into bite size pieces and placed them on cupcake liners. I would recommend using the waxed cupcake liners, since semolina cakes are a little buttery than your normal cakes. Mini doily paper works fine too.

 I was a little indulgent here. Melt and spread some dark chocolate over the top and decorate with little fondant flowers.

Have a slice? Do let me know if you'll try this Sugee Cake! Hugs!!!!

6 comments:

The Church Cook said...

The cake looks soooo good and you have the cleanest oven I have ever seen! :)

Anonymous said...

yummy om my god it's ramadan sis and i am hungry already :(

collin said...

ooks nice and yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will surely try this out.

Take the Cake Personality Test and find out which cake are you like. I have taken the test and have enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

Shanny Khoo said...

Hey there! Tried the cake, my mum & I LOVE IT! :D

Zoe said...

Yum! All these yummy treats are getting me in the mood for baking. I'm going to have to try this. I love that touch of orange zest in there. I'll let you know how min comes out. TFS

Explore The Truth Behind Passion said...

Hi, i saw many recipes adding in cake flour. But yours didn't ask for cake flour. I was wondering will not the cake becomes so soft and breaks easily?